Made in America Chrome Stacks

Thread: Winter Driving Hazards: What to Do

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Winter Driving Hazards: What to Do

Driving on roads slick with ice and snow can be deadly. Anyone who drives in a cold climate is at risk of a serious crash related to poor road conditions. One way to help employees stay safe while traveling is to educate them with these tips for safe winter driving:

-Maintain the vehicle. Before the cold sets in, check the battery, tires, lights, antifreeze, and windshield wipers.

-Always keep the windows clean and the washer reservoir full of no-freeze fluid. Having a fairly full gas tank helps prevent gas-line freeze.

-Carry supplies. Bring a *****; flashlight, jumper cables, and basic tools; sand, kitty litter, or other material to help provide traction if the car gets stuck

-Always stay warm. Heated blankets and clothing to stay warm in an emergency.

-Plan the route: Allow plenty of time (check the weather and leave early if necessary) be familiar with the maps and directions.

-Stay with a stranded or stalled vehicle. Mark the car with something bright on the windows or antenna, and turn on the dome light if it’s dark out

-Occasionally run the engine (just enough to stay warm), but don’t idle for a long time with the windows up or in an enclosed space, and keep the exhaust pipe clear.

Read more important updates from J.J Keller
    Last edited by Marie; 11-22-2012 at 10:13 PM.

I remember the time I had a break down and it's minus jaw-freezing outside. I learned a lesson the hard way. Since then, I had my mechanic check my vehicle's tire pressure especially as soon as winter arrives. It's a service item that's often forgotten but can be a critical issue.

Tires will be dangerously low and will jeopardize car's handling. This is because tire pressure drops by about one pound per ten degrees of temperature. So if the last time you check your tires was back in July, then you better check again.

Today tire pressure monitors are required to all new vehicles. This is significant since it alerts you to changes in tire pressure. Older cars don't have them and the pressure needs to be checked manually.
    Last edited by Marie; 11-22-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monding2
    Today tire pressure monitors are required to all new vehicles. This is significant since it alerts you to changes in tire pressure. Older cars don't have them and the pressure needs to be checked manually.
    I have tire pressure monitor, too. I also use a no-idle air con system. It actually runs up to 17 hours in single charge only. I didn't have to no idle for a long time just to stay warm, and thankfully, no need to listen to generator engine all night.
    Last edited by Marie; 11-22-2012 at 10:15 PM.

I would like to add that in conditions like low sunshine, one must reduce the effect of glare. Winter suns can also cause difficulties. In Winter, the angle of the sun in the sky will frequently be too low for your visor to help. If this occurs, it is advisable to:

-Reduce your speed
    -Reduce the effect of glare by keeping both the inside and outside of your windscreen clean and grease free.
    -If you wear sunglasses, take them off whenever the sun goes in. They should not be worn in duller weather or at
    night as they seriously reduce the ability to see.
    Drive Carefully & Come Home Safe
    Marie

Worst case scenario: If you get stranded, don't panic. It will only make things worst. Stay with your vehicle and call the Emergency services on your mobile *****.

Just a thought for survival. If you get stuck in snow, reviving your engine to try to power out of the rut will just make the rut worse. Instead, move your vehicle slowly backwards and forwards out of the rut using the highest gear you can. If this doesn't work, you may have to ask a friendly passerby for a push or get your shovel out. And if you get caught in a snow drift, don't leave your vehicle. Call your breakdown service or the emergency services and let help come to you. Don't run the engine to keep warm.

All of you are very correct about calling the emergency and never leaving the vehicle but sometimes incidents happens that you have to left your vehicle and move from the place just to make sure that you are safe .After summing up all the precautions there is this conclusion that first of all don't drive too fast so that you cannot handle it and secondly be cautious on the drive way.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    Last edited by Marie; 12-20-2012 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Violation of Advertising Rule

pouring windshield washer fluid and air line antifreeze over the tires has saved my bacon a couple times.

now i carry a box of kitty litter helps with traction and if your standed you have a chitter in your rig that dont stink ha ha ha .

RT Movin' Along bigsemitruckscom's Avatar
    Great tips here. May I add be comfortable with your rig. Know how she acts on different road conditions. Get plenty of rest before driving on bad roads. Driving on snow and with glare is stressful and could cause you to zone out if your tired.