Made in America Chrome Stacks

Thread: Looking to get back into the industry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking to get back into the industry

Okay just looking for a little advice here. I am a former driver and have been out of the industry about 10 years now. I began my career with Swift Transportation and drove for them about 8 or 9 months. At the time I made a stupid decision and quit no notice while leaving the terminal for home time. Immediately after I went to work with a regional company that delivered to local food service establishments. I worked there maybe a month or 2 then left the industry all together.

Since this time I have maintained steady employment with long term jobs, 2 jobs in the last 10 years. Over the last year or so I have been strongly considering getting back into driving. I just miss it in a way if that makes sense. I am more grown and mature now and really am sure I want to do this.

My question would be, how would I go about getting back into the industry. CDL school is so expensive and I can't exactly afford it right now. I don't want to just leave my job unless I am sure I have employment lined up. Should I maybe try to go back with Swift? Is it even possible? I do know they own their own driving schools. I liked driving for them in all honesty and they kept me busy with decent miles. Also I no longer have my CDL I did let it go. Is a refresher course possible? Any other possible companies? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help and I may have more questions to follow.

Update

Ha Ha so I came over here and found my old post sitting here from over a year ago. Just a quick update just because. I did end up coming back to driving. I got hired by Prime Inc and am currently coming through their training program. I just completed my PSD phase of training and tested this past Wednesday and now have my Class A Cdl. I am leaving tomorrow to go with another trainer because I am going into the flatbed division to do the TNT phase which is the 30,000 miles of team driving before I come back and upgrade once again to get into my own truck.

I still check this site from time to time. I really do like it. It seems to get a lot of traffic just not very many posts for some reason. Anyway that is all I have for now and everyone be safe out there.

Blog Entries
    Hi icecold24k,
    We weed out all of the noise and spam on this forum, so those post are deleted. We lost Marie, who kept everything working well, so post have been reduce somewhat, but that is ok. The forum us free and it does not have a ton of ads that most forums do. We limit the ads to one above and 1 below. They rotate, but that is all. Thanks for stopping back and congrats on the new job. Admin
    RoadTrucker Inc
    Products for Trucking and Driving Comfort