Made in America Chrome Stacks

Thread: Cable in RV?

Cable in RV?

Can anyone give recommendations as to how to best get cable in my RV? My family loves TV... We have Netflix, but we want to watch live TV. I've read that satellites or antennas are good options but I wanted to see if anyone had personal experience? Thanks!

Blog Entries

Cable, Over the Air or Satellite

Quote Originally Posted by RVfam1 View Post
    Can anyone give recommendations as to how to best get cable in my RV? My family loves TV... We have Netflix, but we want to watch live TV. I've read that satellites or antennas are good options but I wanted to see if anyone had personal experience? Thanks!
    Welcome RVfam1. Sounds like a little explanation might be helpful for you.

Cable would be out in my opinion, unless you plan on running a cable wire to your RV and disconnecting it whenever you traveled. Cable is hardwired. You cannot take it with you. You can check with other truckers/RVers to see if they might have cable connectors at the Truck Stop Kiosk, but I do not think they do, since Satellite is more versatile.

"Over the Air" are digital TV channels, that can be received via any of the TVs that have a digital tuner. Unlike the analog TVs, you must scan for channels whenever you move the TV to a new location. I am not a fan of this, unless money is tight and you can be satisfied with the stronger channels. Some of my favorite shows, especially around prime time, would start to pixelate as more and more people tuned in. I did not like the unreliability and missing the end of some shows.

When it comes to travel, Satellite seems to be the way to go. For that you need a Satellite mobile antenna. One that you can use to bring in the signals for the Satellites that transmit the TV shows. You need to be able to manual or automatically find the Satellites in each new location. The 2 companies that come to mind that have a decent reputation for mobile Satellite Antennas are King Controls and Winegard. RoadTrucker handles most of the King Control mobile satellites (often referred to as Vu Qubes) and 1 winegard. We have gotten a lot of good feedback on the Vu Qubes, but have not gotten any on the winegard, yet. I suggest you do some research. You can start here. http://www.roadtrucker.com/satellite...e-tv-radio.htm

One thing you should be aware of is that RV parks tend to have trees that can interfere with your satellite antenna. With the Vu Qube portables, you can take them out from under the trees. With the roof mount, you would need to move the TV.
    Last edited by Admin; 03-31-2015 at 10:11 PM.
    RoadTrucker Inc
    Products for Trucking and Driving Comfort