Made in America Chrome Stacks

View Poll Results: Which CB Radio You Love Most?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cobra CB radio

1 25.00%
  • Uniden CB radio

0 0%
  • Galaxy CB radio

1 25.00%
  • Other - Please specify

2 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: CB Radios Cobra, Galaxy, Uniden: Which is the best?

Post CB Radios Cobra, Galaxy, Uniden: Which is the best?

Hello all! I just wanted to get a quick survey to all our trucker friends here. Now we know every trucker uses a CB radio once in a while or even everyday. So based on user experience which CB radio is the best for you? We wanna hear why and what are the advantages/disadvantages for that specific CB radio. Please comment! Thanks.
    Drive Carefully & Come Home Safe
    Marie

I am bias, I have run a General Lee, and a Superstar 158EDX for years. Great power once tuned, and reliable. Have had both of mine for 13 years with no problems.

Blog Entries

Those are 10 Meter. Not 11 Meter Radios

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    I am bias, I have run a General Lee, and a Superstar 158EDX for years. Great power once tuned, and reliable. Have had both of mine for 13 years with no problems.
    The 2 radios are NOT CB (11 Meter Band) radios. They are both 10 Meter and should not be operated on the CB channels 1 to 40. You should also have a license to operate them.

Both are good radios though. Admin
    RoadTrucker Inc
    Products for Trucking and Driving Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Hello all! I just wanted to get a quick survey to all our trucker friends here. Now we know every trucker uses a CB radio once in a while or even everyday. So based on user experience which CB radio is the best for you? We wanna hear why and what are the advantages/disadvantages for that specific CB radio. Please comment! Thanks.
    i have run with many different cb radios. i have had nearly everyone peaked and tuned.

if only i had all that money back.

i run a simple, basic cobra 25 classic, straight from the box.

i did have a Ranger once, had the cb shop where i bought it, convert it over to cb radio, and that was for free, since i bought it there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyD_157 View Post
    i have run with many different cb radios. i have had nearly everyone peaked and tuned.

if only i had all that money back.

i run a simple, basic cobra 25 classic, straight from the box.

i did have a Ranger once, had the cb shop where i bought it, convert it over to cb radio, and that was for free, since i bought it there.
    Just a couple of thoughts/comments:

In general, Tuning a radio basically means matching the output impedance to the input impedance (for max power transfer), which means to do it accurately, you need to have the CB hooked up and working in the vehicle you are going to use it in. The output impedance is the cable and antenna. There are a couple of pots inside that you can adjust, but they are usually set reasonably close. It's the antenna that can make a bigger difference and yo can do this yourself with SWR meter in an open area of a parking lot.

Both the Cobra 25 and 29 Classics are a long standing good choice for CB Radios. Others are the Galaxy DX949 and DX959.

As far as I know all of the 10 Meter radios can be modified to pickup the 11 Meter Band (and more), however, that does not make them legal CB radios. There is still a max power transmit regardless and if violated, it is possible to have the radio confiscated.
    RoadTrucker Inc
    Products for Trucking and Driving Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Just a couple of thoughts/comments:

In general, Tuning a radio basically means matching the output impedance to the input impedance (for max power transfer), which means to do it accurately, you need to have the CB hooked up and working in the vehicle you are going to use it in. The output impedance is the cable and antenna. There are a couple of pots inside that you can adjust, but they are usually set reasonably close. It's the antenna that can make a bigger difference and yo can do this yourself with SWR meter in an open area of a parking lot.

Both the Cobra 25 and 29 Classics are a long standing good choice for CB Radios. Others are the Galaxy DX949 and DX959.

As far as I know all of the 10 Meter radios can be modified to pickup the 11 Meter Band (and more), however, that does not make them legal CB radios. There is still a max power transmit regardless and if violated, it is possible to have the radio confiscated.
    i did have the galaxy, can't remember SSB or not. i liked it, crystal clear in TX and RX

i know how to tune an antenna, had done so with my wilson 2000, and it was very close to being "dead on perfect".

i was told by the late owner of a local cb shop, that once an antenna is tuned, it is tuned for any radio you use it for, she was i believe correct, as the swr was near perfect for my large and small cb's.

but when i had to start removing my antenna for vacation times, i decided to go with a Francis, as no tuning is needed, i still have my Francis, and have been using it for the past 8 years now?

i also have a brand new still in the package, wilson 2000, never took it out of it's package! got that on sale at a T/A, like back in the early part of 2000's, like 2001..thru 2004..???

maybe someday i'll use it, but when the old stuff still works, why mess with it..???

i was told that indeed an illegal radio can be taken away, but frankly, the DOT doesn't really seem to be bothered with that, plus there are only 2 DOT scales on my route, and both are closed at night, and have been all these 6 years now of my run.

i sold my galaxy to a former co-worker, as i became leery on having it in my company truck, parked at the other terminals, as i waited for my return freight, of some rummy day driver (from another terminal) jumping into it, thinking it was his truck for the day. no locks could keep anyone out, all trucks were keyed alike....

I know they are 10 meter, and i have been running them for years. No issues. License, #### i don't need no stinkin license.