Made in America Chrome Stacks

Thread: CPAP user

CPAP user

Pls help me out. I am about to start driving long hauls for the first time. I have sleep apnea and have been using a CPAP machine for 14 years and cannot sleep without it. The only power cord that I have is one that plugs into the back of the machine and gets powered by a house outlet.
    Logically I cannot do this in a rig. I have to go out for 8 wks. with an instructor and am not going to assume that I will able to use his/her inverter. I need a suggestion for what kind of adapter to get and where to buy it from. Many THX

Blog Entries
    Are you looking for something to plug into the cigarette lighter? What is the wattage of your CPAP? There may not be a easy answer, as some of these devices need a pure sine wave inverter. You need to make sure you understand the following:

• Can the device operate effectively from a modified sin-wave inverter, or does it require a pure sine wave inverter.
    • What are the power requirements. Should be in Watts, but you can also use Amps & Voltage. (Amps x Voltage = Watts).

Here's an article I wrote on Inverters, that explains very well the difference and why you migtht chose one type over the other.
    Last edited by Admin; 10-09-2019 at 12:30 AM.
    RoadTrucker Inc
    Products for Trucking and Driving Comfort

Thank you very much Admin. I believe it may have just dawned on me what is going on. Knowing that the machine requires 120VAC got me confused over the matter because the CPAP Express store had a device that plugs into the cigarette lighter and the female power plug. I had thought that in order to convert DC to AC you would need a full wave bridge rectifier (sine wave inverter) and a rather hefty transformer, BUT on the machine label it reads "100-240VAC, 50/60HZ 1.3A". Above that it reads 12VDC. So I'm guessing that inside the machine it must have a capability to input 12VDC.
    Otherwise the CPAP industry wouldn't be making the "cig lighter to female plug" device in the first place. I feel as tho the problem is solved, now I need to get my hands on one of these devices (mines on backorder). Thanks again for replying when I was in a state of panic. Happy Motoring!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Supernault View Post
    Thank you very much Admin. I believe it may have just dawned on me what is going on. Knowing that the machine requires 120VAC got me confused over the matter because the CPAP Express store had a device that plugs into the cigarette lighter and the female power plug. I had thought that in order to convert DC to AC you would need a full wave bridge rectifier (sine wave inverter) and a rather hefty transformer, BUT on the machine label it reads "100-240VAC, 50/60HZ 1.3A". Above that it reads 12VDC. So I'm guessing that inside the machine it must have a capability to input 12VDC.
    Otherwise the CPAP industry wouldn't be making the "cig lighter to female plug" device in the first place. I feel as tho the problem is solved, now I need to get my hands on one of these devices (mines on backorder). Thanks again for replying when I was in a state of panic. Happy Motoring!!!
    Just to clarify further for you.

Inverter: Converts DC to AC. It first must mathematically actually create a sign wave, then step it up to the output AC voltage. No Bridge needed or used. You would use this to run your 120 volt AC appliance off off your DC battery or power source.

Converter: Converts AC to DC. It first must step down the voltage to the required level, then it runs it through the full bridge, you mentioned, which flips up the bottom part of the sign wave giving you a bumpy DC which look a little like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Signwave.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	161

This wave is filtered (smoothed out) by capacitors to get a better DC wave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Filtered.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.9 KB 
ID:	162

You use this to run your DC appliances in the house or office.

Last edited by Admin; 10-09-2019 at 12:33 AM.
    RoadTrucker Inc
    Products for Trucking and Driving Comfort

try to use alternative cpap or bipap mask You can try forcing yourself to sleep on your side either through weight belt (lots sold on amazon) or try attaching tennis balls to between your shoulders.

Get a dental appliance that moves your jaw forward. Not cheap.

See a sleep surgeon

if you have a BMI of less than 40kg/m2 Winx Sleep Therapy is one of the critical alternative treatments for sleep apnea
    Last edited by Admin; 02-16-2021 at 11:39 AM.

What kind of trouble you've had at work