Made in America Chrome Stacks

Thread: Food-on-the-Go

Lightbulb Food-on-the-Go

A trucker's job can be very exhausting and they would need immediate relief like small snacks that can satisfy hunger. Different types of food include some nuts, chips, popcorn, and dried raisins. But a lot of drivers nowadays bring cooking products to enjoy homemade meals.

Products like Power Hunt's 12 volt high performance appliances can hook up to batteries. But there are companies that don't want you touching the battery. So it's wiser to take smaller appliances that can plug into cigarette lighter like a 12-volt microwave and one of my favorite is RoadPro's 12-volt 300 degree lunchbox stove.

An affordable and nutritious diet can give truckers enough energy throughout the day. See my article Food for Road Trips for a list of healthy and ideal food on the road.

What’s your favorite food on the go? Share it here!
    Last edited by Marie; 11-08-2012 at 04:31 AM.
    Drive Carefully & Come Home Safe
    Marie

How safe are those cigarette lighter microwaves? I'm not so sure I'd feel comfortable having a microwave going inside of my vehicle. It might be worth just so I don't have to eat another gas station hot dog again!

Hi Marie,

Nice ideas! I am looking to see if my small crockpot will work in the truck, not sure how much power it will draw.... I am hoping to use a lot of my yummy crockot recipes on the go, like chicken, chili, roast beef, meatloaf, stuff like that. I also love to eat apples on the road with a lil bit o peanut butter hahaha
    Thanks for the tips!

Patti

Quote Originally Posted by Snowpony View Post
    Hi Marie,

Nice ideas! I am looking to see if my small crockpot will work in the truck, not sure how much power it will draw.... I am hoping to use a lot of my yummy crockot recipes on the go, like chicken, chili, roast beef, meatloaf, stuff like that. I also love to eat apples on the road with a lil bit o peanut butter hahaha
    Thanks for the tips!

Patti
    You might be interested with this 12-Volt Slow Cooker - Crock Pot.. Low 78 Watts (6.5 Amps)
    http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-c...-crock-pot.htm

Hi pigpaw,

Thanks! Yes, I saw that-it's on my wish list with a whole lotta other things hahaha! Soon as our authority comes through, should be this week, we can start rollin and making some money. I think I have spent so much now, I need to start putting $$ back in the kitty hahaha. Can't wait to git out there and roll!! Thank you for the good idea, I appreciate it : )
    Be safe!
    Patti

Blog Entries

Microwaves

Quote Originally Posted by the_future View Post
    How safe are those cigarette lighter microwaves? I'm not so sure I'd feel comfortable having a microwave going inside of my vehicle. It might be worth just so I don't have to eat another gas station hot dog again!
    The only 12 Volt Microwave that could be used in the Cigarette lighter was the original Wavebox. And it did not work well. The reason is, you need about 500 Watts or more for a Microwave to do a decent job and the Cigarette lighter just cannot handle the power required. The Wavebox sort of tricked you by dropping the power down to only 200 watts when you used the lighter plug. It could not even cook popcorn. They actually went out of business.

There are basically 2 ways to use a Microwave in your truck to any degree of satisfaction. And the power source of both need to be hooked directly to the battery.

The first is to use an Inverter, along with a standard kitchen microwave. Using an inverter is somewhat inefficient, but it will do the job. With an inverter you can use several different kitchen appliance as well. The 2nd is to purchase the Power Hunt high performance Microwave and a Power Port. The Power Port connects directly to the battery and the Microwave, which is a real 12 volt microwave plugs into the power port. With the Power Port, to can use any of the Power Hunt high performance line of appliances. i.e.. Coffee makers, grill, sandwich maker, breakfast griddle, heaters, hair dryer.
    RoadTrucker Inc
    Products for Trucking and Driving Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Snowpony View Post
    Hi pigpaw,

Thanks! Yes, I saw that-it's on my wish list with a whole lotta other things hahaha! Soon as our authority comes through, should be this week, we can start rollin and making some money. I think I have spent so much now, I need to start putting $$ back in the kitty hahaha. Can't wait to git out there and roll!! Thank you for the good idea, I appreciate it : )
    Be safe!
    Patti
    Hi Patti,

Nice to have you in the forum (this site might need more crackpots.lol). Id say its really kinda hard to save money nowadays but it sure is a wise move from time to time especially if we hold off buying unnecessary suff, yknow. I hope you and your husband will always have a great time on the road and will find more excitement in trucking. Keep safe always!
    www.TruckingComfort.com
    A Variety of Trucking and Traveling Items

Thanks so much Hapon A-z, I appreciate the welcome. I know we will have loads of fun and adventures, we just seem to make fun wherever we go, always laughing no matter what it seems. We both lost our spouses to cancer, which is how we met. We started out as friends, helping each other through the tough grieving process, just having someone to eat a meal with and not eat dinner alone but not enter the whole dating scene. We had more fun, and it has always been that way from the start. We were married last August and our love grows deeper each day. After seeing how fragile life is, we both know all too well that this moment is all we can be certain of, so we live in this moment. No wasting time regretting yeterday or fearing tomorrow. We learn from yesterday, plan best we can, and move on. That frees us to live right now, fully enjoying and experiencing this moment, and not sweating the small stuff. He has been driving for almost 12 years but it is all new to me. We are a good team and work well together so it was an easy decision to go all in and start our own company. I will probably end up writing a book hahaha. Nice meeting you!!!

hey everyone
    The trucker life is never easy and A healthy diet needs to be easy to do pain free, and hunger free, during life as a trucker.for maintaining good health trucker need to take fresh fruits,it is advisable for truckers to cook homemade meals inside the trucks than let the truck stops take advantage of them. Doing so, will help them save money too.you will take ham and cheese omelette turkey bacon and freeze dried eggs in breakfast meal.it is very beneficial for truck driver.Always aware about diet for maintain good health.