Made in America Chrome Stacks

Thread: Hello from dixie4me, new to trucking and need HELP,HELP,HELP

Smile Hello from dixie4me, new to trucking and need HELP,HELP,HELP

Hey all Truckers, I am trying to get my husband into his own truck but I need information I'm hoping ya'll can help with.

Here's what I need to know. If he gets his own truck he will have to make enough money to pay our current bills plus a truck note and insurance and operating cost. So what would be his best bet? Contracting out or job board? And could someone please through me some numbers in there. I would like to have my ducks in a row before I tell him to quit his current job and come home. Thanks in advance

Hi dixie4me, see below comment from our facebook page:

Robert Lee Hester - "Do you have at least 6.000 cash and no we are not talking about down payment were talking operating cost just to be able to get truck fixed should it and it will run into problems . Such as road side charging you 400.00 min.to change one tire or if god forbids the turbo breaks . Hell even an oil change and service at t a is close to 300.00"
    Drive Carefully & Come Home Safe
    Marie

I'm trying to get some numbers together so when I go to the bank I will know more about how much I need. And repair cost is one of the things I need ideas on, so thanks for that much info Mr. Hester. If I happen to get a good truck would $10,000.00 cover me for fuel and possible tire repairs for one month, or should I get more if possible?

Quote Originally Posted by dixie4me View Post
    I'm trying to get some numbers together so when I go to the bank I will know more about how much I need. And repair cost is one of the things I need ideas on, so thanks for that much info Mr. Hester. If I happen to get a good truck would $10,000.00 cover me for fuel and possible tire repairs for one month, or should I get more if possible?
    Richard Dale Garrison: "How about this, if yall wanna operate independently does waiting up to 30 days or maybe even 60 days to get paid for a load sound appealing ??"
    Drive Carefully & Come Home Safe
    Marie

RT Movin' Along bigsemitruckscom's Avatar
    hey dixie,
    there are alot of numbers to consider. Whatever you estimate you will make on the job, half will go in the fuel tank. Insurance will cost you about 12k per year. usually broken into 10 payments, you pay two up front. License is around $1800 per year if you're apportioning. Payable upfront. owning your own truck can be gratifying, but in the current economic situation is hard on little guys. I know of brokers who are taking half the money from the load. Lots of people not getting paid. I would not try to start without at least $15k in the bank, just for the truck. Your other bills would be in addition to that. And find out when you'll get paid. everyone is different. From 2 weeks to 60 days. Good luck!!