Made in America Chrome Stacks

Thread: Smoking Clutch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smoking Clutch

I live in a hilly but not mountainous area. Today I came to a stop light next to a late model semi. His clutch was smoking. I could smell the burnt smell a mile away.
    I was tempted to knock on his window and tell him. I just realized how many trucks I have noticed who have burnt clutch odors eminating from their vehicle.

My question is why is the clutch burning. Is it driver inexperiance? lazyness? poor maintenance?

I am not a trucker but when I was younger I've gone through several clutches. I also drove a vehicle for a while with a ceramic clutch(no slipping with those).

Are the drivers slipping their clutches climbing the hill or has it something to do with them going down the hill?

Another question is the clutch burning something to do with range control shifting?

Are there reason's that aren't always obvious such as some kind of clutch brake that would cause burning when coasting downhill in neutal?

Here's a response from one of our RoadTrucker Facebook page fans, Victoria Ottman:

"Mostly driver inexperienced. Have ya seen some of these kids. Going down a hill in Ural this kid driving for swift had trail or breaks smoking so bad. I tryed to reach him on cb. I got beside him. Waved nothing worked an he kept going. Don't know if he made it without a break fire or not. This is do to pencil pushers trying to do away with older drivers. To bring more jobs for kids. Out of these schools. So tell me now what are we suppose to do when they take our jobs? Though we have work all our lives. Paying every tax under the sun. We will not be able to collect anything."
    Drive Carefully & Come Home Safe
    Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Illinois View Post
    I live in a hilly but not mountainous area. Today I came to a stop light next to a late model semi. His clutch was smoking. I could smell the burnt smell a mile away.
    I was tempted to knock on his window and tell him. I just realized how many trucks I have noticed who have burnt clutch odors eminating from their vehicle.

My question is why is the clutch burning. Is it driver inexperiance? lazyness? poor maintenance?

I am not a trucker but when I was younger I've gone through several clutches. I also drove a vehicle for a while with a ceramic clutch(no slipping with those).

Are the drivers slipping their clutches climbing the hill or has it something to do with them going down the hill?

Another question is the clutch burning something to do with range control shifting?

Are there reason's that aren't always obvious such as some kind of clutch brake that would cause burning when coasting downhill in neutal?
    Sure its the clutch, and not the brakes. Smoking breaks is a hazard of downhill running. Could be caused by inexperience and possibly a mechenical problem. When you smell them or see the smoke coming off of them stay away. Worst case senerio is the brakes could go out.
    Like the other person said, there are a lot of people who are driving these days who should not be. But with the economy and the attempts to get rid of the experienced driver these are the future of trucking. Not all drivers are bad, but there are a lot out there these days. Sorry but true. Anyway, be safe.