Made in America Chrome Stacks

Thread: MP3 players vs CD players

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MP3 players vs CD players

Obviously, especially over the past five years, CD players have gradually been going out of style. Few people don't own an MP3 player, and MP3s can be packed by the hundreds onto a $30 device that fits easily inside your pocket. With their increasing popularity, will they end up replacing CDs?

My feeling is that CDs will gradually become the next records. They will be the vintage way of playing music, but the trends will gradually shift towards electronic copies of media. However, at least for me, nothing can beat a classic CD of a great album held right in your hands. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Apple View Post
    Obviously, especially over the past five years, CD players have gradually been going out of style. Few people don't own an MP3 player, and MP3s can be packed by the hundreds onto a $30 device that fits easily inside your pocket. With their increasing popularity, will they end up replacing CDs?

My feeling is that CDs will gradually become the next records. They will be the vintage way of playing music, but the trends will gradually shift towards electronic copies of media. However, at least for me, nothing can beat a classic CD of a great album held right in your hands. Thoughts?
    Actually, MP3s still do exist but not as popular as iPod. Even a regular ***** in which you can download songs is a trend today. But I'd rather choose an MP3 than a CD. I had an MP3 unit before with USB port and SD slot which is very handy, convenient, and I can store as many songs as I like.
    Drive Carefully & Come Home Safe
    Marie

I definitely do like the convenience of being able to store so many songs on one device. Shuffling through dozens of CDs is a bit of a pain.

I think you hit the nail on the head. When I was playing with my last band we actually targeted digital sales more than physical sales. The reason is because of the trend with iTunes, Spotify, etc we wanted to really target a specific audience. Those of us that remember Records can see the same trends happening again with CD's. Eventually something smaller comes out and everyone gravitates to it. Nowadays with more people having smart*****s, it's only natural that they would want their music to play on those devices instead of having to carry a second device around with them.

I've heard of bands going so far as to not even release CDs at all, targeting the digital audience entirely. Honestly I still think it's a good idea for bands to release CDs, but it certainly isn't unwise for many bands to primarily target the digital audience these days. It's the way of the future, so you might as well jump on the bandwagon now rather than later.

HI Darth Apple ,mp3 popular in that day becaue of sound quliaty& portability. A major factor affecting the quality of the MP3 is the conversion (bit) rate, measured in kilobits per second (kbps). The higher the bit rate, the higher the sound quality. A 320 kbps MP3 would equate to a high-quality MP3.it has higher the quality the larger the file.At 128 kbps MP3 ,CD sound quality have little benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Apple View Post

Nahh i disagree, don't see CDs every becoming vintage...they scratch easy and the quality just isn't there compared to some digital formats (not mp3)