Made in America Chrome Stacks

Thread: To buy, or not to buy a Volvo engine!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

To buy, or not to buy a Volvo engine!!

I'm looking to buy a new Volvo, and I'm trying to decide between Volvo and Cummins power. I hear a lot of horror stories re. Volvo maintenance. I will appreciate any advice, thanks.

One answer from RoadTrucker facebook page: Cummins has a lot of endurance. Speed as well. As pulling power.
    www.TruckingComfort.com
    A Variety of Trucking and Traveling Items

Quote Originally Posted by A1hank View Post
    I'm looking to buy a new Volvo, and I'm trying to decide between Volvo and Cummins power. I hear a lot of horror stories re. Volvo maintenance. I will appreciate any advice, thanks.
    The older engines may be better than the newer ones since they may have lotsa issues. People already know how to fix older engines. For convenience, Cummins are pretty much reparable in many places unlike Volvo which you have to take to Volvo shops only. But I suggest you do some research on both engines and their respective issues because it may also depend on what you want to haul.
    www.TruckingComfort.com
    A Variety of Trucking and Traveling Items

According to me,,,
    Volvo is better option...The older engines are much better and strong than the newer engines since they may have lots of issues,but Persons already knows that how to fix older engines and how to handle it. But according to me you do some researches and after that you take the decisions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marksoldtowne View Post
    According to me,,,
    Volvo is better option...The older engines are much better and strong than the newer engines since they may have lots of issues,but Persons already knows that how to fix older engines and how to handle it. But according to me you do some researches and after that you take the decisions as well.
    Agree. Nothing does more than a good research, and you can ask around also. Especially from seasoned truckers.
    Drive Carefully & Come Home Safe
    Marie

Which Volvo engine did you have in mind? If you're thinking the D16, don't walk away from that - run. Catch a speeding taxi cab, if you can. Big engine.. 16.1 liters... it can really do something when it's doing what it's supposed to... keeping it doing what it's supposed to is where you problem lies. I suppose I was fortunate in not having any major issues while I was driving it, but the driver after me didn't fare so well. Not to mention the numerous owners I've met who've had more horror stories than Alfred Hitchcock dealing with that engine. But, coupled to a 13 speed and turning 3.58s while only running five axles.. in some fashion, I'd even say it was overkill.
    The truck itself.. it was an 07 730 midroof... nice amenities, Volvo made pretty good use of the sleeper space compared to some other manufacturers. Some electrical problems, minor sorts relatively easy to deal with, although other Volvo owners have had horror stories in that arena, as well.
    This one had an air ride front axle... which I could appreciate the ride quality, especially having spent a substantial amount of time operating vehicles with Chalmers, walking beam, and Camel Back suspensions, it really took me some getting used to.
    No experience with the D13 to speak of. My experiences with the D12 were occasional and took place in South Africa, and I'm not sure how much those engines differed from the US models for the same year, so I'd rather not base anything off of that.

i suggest Volvo engine rather than Cummins

Suggest Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by A1hank View Post
    I suggest Volvo.
    My friends and I all buy Volvo more than Cummins.
    It is the Volvo engine and the brand quality that bring us more convenience.

vz4x4truck.com

Hi all, I'm Bob working in Oklahoma Volvo and travel around the U.S. and Canada if you're interested you can check out https://bit.ly/3G1v0dK