Made in America Chrome Stacks

Thread: Truckers Urged to Use Truck-Specific GPS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Truckers Urged to Use Truck-Specific GPS

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) warns truck drivers that using a GPS navigation system designed for smaller vehicles could lead them into hitting low bridges. FMCSA distributed cards known as “visor card” to truckers as a sort of reminder.

The visor card directs the drivers to use GPS devices intended for large trucks. i.e with road restrictions like low bridges and weight restricted roads.

“These brand-new federal standards for GPS use among commercial truck drivers will be the first major steps to thwarting life-threatening bridge strikes that have been causing massive delays and imposing significant costs on taxpayers for far too long,” Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said.

Teaching the industry how to eliminate GPS-related accidents must be one of the proactive approaches to be implemented in order to minimize the serious issue of truck accidents.

FMCSA also noted that they will require GPS device training as a part of an upcoming recommendation mandating training for all entry-level truck and bus drivers.

"About 80% of bridge strikes in New York state result from large vehicles whose drivers do not use the right navigation devices", Schumer said, citing a 2009 study.

See Admin's related article Are Commercial Drivers Really Hitting Bridges?
    Last edited by Admin; 05-14-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Corrected grammer and data
    Drive Carefully & Come Home Safe
    Marie

Do regular GPS devices have an option for trucking GPS or do you have to get a specific model that's only designed for trucking? I was thinking about getting a GPS for my regular vehicle but maybe I'll hold off until I figure out if I'm going to get into trucking.

Quote Originally Posted by the_future View Post
    Do regular GPS devices have an option for trucking GPS or do you have to get a specific model that's only designed for trucking? I was thinking about getting a GPS for my regular vehicle but maybe I'll hold off until I figure out if I'm going to get into trucking.
    I don't think there's an outstanding regular GPS in the market that has a trucking option, but there's a truck GPS that has RV or car option like the PC*Miler 550 or 750. But if you'll get into trucking, get a trucker GPS. It's always safe and you won't get yourself into a lot of trouble. For example, see Rand McNally's TND 720 Trucker GPS, which does have an option for cars to.

For you RVers, the Rand also makes a RVND7720 and RVND510, which we feel is the best option available for the RV.
    Last edited by Admin; 05-14-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    Drive Carefully & Come Home Safe
    Marie

There is no regular GPS that fits for trucks. You need to buy GPS made for trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by davidandrew View Post
    There is no regular GPS that fits for trucks. You need to buy GPS made for trucks.
    That's right. Better be safe than sorry. I love the rand TND720 coz it has wifi. aside from this I can see LIVE fuel prices right on the map.
    www.TruckingComfort.com
    A Variety of Trucking and Traveling Items