Made in America Chrome Stacks

Thread: Newbie from long island NY want to get started in trucking

Newbie from long island NY want to get started in trucking

i need some direction here, i do not have a cdl, i drive a van for the company i work for now and they pay awful

im not married, no kids and don't mind being away from home because my parents drive me crazy. I am 26 and want to become a trucker

I need some direction on how to begin, so i take school or just apply to company?

which company or school?

I am interested in long hauls, i want to see the country. just need some advice, please feel free to pm me id like to speak to someone on ***** but im not sure if i should put my # on here.

James

Blog Entries

The best thing is to ask some of the seasoned drivers.

The best thing is to ask some of the seasoned drivers. They may disagree with me, and you should pay them some heed, but it will not hurt to give what I say some thought.
    I would definitely think your should go to school and get your CDL. I have no idea why anyone would consider hiring someone who was not able to drive.
    Drivers are in great need. I am at the Mid American Trucker show now and their are tons of booths looking for new drivers. Owner operators and company drivers. Even Wal-Mart is here looking for drivers.

Some, like Packard Transport, are offering $1,000 signup bonus for Owner Operators.

The Trucker Newspaper had an article saying that Trucker CEOs were seeing a drop in applicants as high as 20% to 25%. Max Fuller, CEO of U.S. Xpress said, "The driver situation is the worst we've seen".

Consider doing the following:
    1. Get your training, which should help you get your CDL
    2. Apply at Trucking companies like Werner Express, who have a reputation for hiring a mix of Trucking School Graduates and experienced drivers.
    3. Be very careful that you do not hit anything. Even in training. When in doubt, get out.. and look. You must keep your DAC record clean.
    4. Talk to as many experienced drivers as you can. They are often your best source for trucking information.

Good Luck..
    RoadTrucker Inc
    Products for Trucking and Driving Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by jsmvp44 View Post
    i need some direction here, i do not have a cdl, i drive a van for the company i work for now and they pay awful

im not married, no kids and don't mind being away from home because my parents drive me crazy. I am 26 and want to become a trucker

I need some direction on how to begin, so i take school or just apply to company?

which company or school?

I am interested in long hauls, i want to see the country. just need some advice, please feel free to pm me id like to speak to someone on ***** but im not sure if i should put my # on here.

James
    You may want to contact one of the forum members here. He posted in the Blogs section an I already asked him to move his post in the forums. Click this link to view his profile http://www.roadtrucker.com/forum/mem...?307-jameslang Good luck!
    Drive Carefully & Come Home Safe
    Marie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I would definitely think your should go to school and get your CDL. I have no idea why anyone would consider hiring someone who was not able to drive.
    Drivers are in great need. I am at the Mid American Trucker show now and their are tons of booths looking for new drivers. Owner operators and company drivers. Even Wal-Mart is here looking for drivers.

CORRECTION: I am wrong in the above statement. Apparently companies like Schneider, Swift and many others will pay for everything for you, if you give them 1 year or so of service. Here are their links:

http://www.schneiderjobs.com/company...chool-programs Watch the video.

http://swift.drivers-central.com/swi...l-training.cfm You can apply here too.

Other links of posible interest

http://www.greatcdltraining.com/default.aspx

http://www.pamt.com/

http://www.stevenstransport.com/truc...chools/dallas/

http://www.usa-truck.com/drivers/Default.aspx?id=54
    Last edited by Admin; 03-30-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    RoadTrucker Inc
    Products for Trucking and Driving Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by jsmvp44 View Post

which company or school?

James
    James I to was a Long Islander but have gotten smart in my old age and moved. Living on Long Island is a tough place to be a trucker because many company's don't want to go there because of the cost. However I think it's better to get your license from an out side school that way you don't owe a company anything when you start working for them. If your looking a at schools try C.D.T.(commercial driver training) in W.Babylon they have a pretty good program I went thu there well it was a long time ago. I have no Idea on costs anymore I hate to tell you but when your just starting out you got to start at the bottom with a training company. If you have your lic. when you start there they will just send you out with a trainer for a couple of weeks. I mean NO school as good as they might be can teach you enough. It takes tme and miles. I wish you luck and lots of miles Steve

school info

James I too was a L.I.er but moved recently because of the cost of living there. Being a trucker on L.I is tough many company's don't hire from the Island because of the cost of getting you home and a few other reasons like you can't get a load out most times. Anyway I think it's better to get your class A on your own this way when you start for a company like CRST swift schneider. or any of the other training company's you don't owe them ANYTHING Yes you'll have to go out with a trainer (no school can teach you everything)But after you get sometime and expereiance if you want to stay stay but if you want to go you leave you don't have a loan with them. I wish you well. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve54v View Post
    James I too was a L.I.er but moved recently because of the cost of living there. Being a trucker on L.I is tough many company's don't hire from the Island because of the cost of getting you home and a few other reasons like you can't get a load out most times. Anyway I think it's better to get your class A on your own this way when you start for a company like CRST swift schneider. or any of the other training company's you don't owe them ANYTHING Yes you'll have to go out with a trainer (no school can teach you everything)But after you get sometime and expereiance if you want to stay stay but if you want to go you leave you don't have a loan with them. I wish you well. Steve
    I agree with this. If you get your CDL on your own, you don't have to render a year service for the trucking company who gave you your training. It's better that way because you can look for a company that you want i.e close to your home, with better pay, etc.
    www.TruckingComfort.com
    A Variety of Trucking and Traveling Items

Hi jsmvp Long Island Good luck I was a Long Islander until last year and finally got tired of how much it cost to live there. I am off track here. Schools there's two thoughts do you go to a company that will train you or get it on your own. I personally think it's better to get your license on your own if you can afford it. That way you don't owe the company anything. On L.I have you checked out Commercial drivers training in W.Babylon. they have a preety good program to get you started. I went thru it a lot of years ago so I don't know to much how it is today but It's worth a shot. Good luck hope it works out for you Steve