Made in America Chrome Stacks

Thread: New CDL Student Driver need help to get some facts about this two company

New CDL Student Driver need help to get some facts about this two company

Hello every one,

I am a student driver and got pre-hired by Werner and Swift Trans. I was wondering if you guys can help me decide which company to work for. I love to travel and don't mind being out for weeks, I am a hard worker and I can adopt pretty much everything. The only thing I am not sure is if I can work with the company who has a high turn over rate of their drivers. I read so much negative from both company that I am now being discourage to work for them. 1). Does Swift Transportation some how have something to offer beside all the down time and not getting reinverse of any expenses by thier driver. 2). Is there any company the will hire a rookie like me beside those bad trucking companies? 3). is it possible that trucking company can ruin your career by firing you and putting some negative feedback on your record that you can't be rehire by other company? I read so many negative feedback regards these two companies (Werner and Swift) such as bad DM, luck of communications, lots of driver but not enough trucks, unprofessional mentors, less deliveries or load, poor mechanic performance and less care for their drivers. Please can some one verify these for me and if its true can you recommend other companies. I don't mind working for minimun and work a little harder or being treated as a number as long I am being treated fairly and getting proper support from dispatch. You're feed back or advise will save me from being discrental and sure will enjoy to share the open with you...Thank you Oh! if you don't want to post your reply or feedback, you can email me at Note: Removed email address. It is not a good idea to post an email address, as spam bots tend ot pick them up. You can PM it to anyone you like. Admin
    Last edited by Admin; 05-04-2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Removed email to protect poster

First of all, you can't believe everything everybody say's and you can't believe everything you read. Both are good company's, and trucking is going to be what you make out of it. It's a tough job and can go witch ever way you take it. You will like a lot about it and you will hate things about it. You can't be a wiener and think your going to get rich and that the company's going to take care of you, because most of these company's care about one thing and one thing only, moving freight. If you don't have a cdl and you plan on going to school, well then all I can say is, you need to decide on swift, werner, or schenider. Those are the best ones to start out at. They will pay about the same and you will start out running your ass off with a crappy truck. but if you can prove to them or who ever you go with, that you are willing to get out there, not be a wiener, run the best you can,then and only then will the trucking industry take you places. I'm still new and drive solo, and one thing I learned is that it's a whole new world out behind the wheel of an 80 thousand pound truck. you will meet a lot of good people and bad. you will put up with a lot of bullshit and your stress level will increase. you got to want this and it will be a new life style for you. good luck and I wish you luck. billy from Indiana.....

I would say for being new driver ;it not really how good company is right now you need to concentrate on getting some miles behind u safely because once u get one year in. Your options will be plentiful. They are both decent company's and the trucks are slow.

@ Billy, Thank you very much for sharing your experience and thoughts... I'll keep it in mind what you said, I'm pretty sure that they're all great company to start with... I was just wanted to make sure that if I put my honest working out there and willing to take all the stress and blame, I just wanted to know that I am working with someone that some how cares about their drivers who's far away from his/her family weeks of weeks at a time. Thanks again..

@Dwayne.. You got a point.. thanks for reminding me that there's a green grass behind the hills.. thanks again..

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    @Dwayne.. You got a point.. thanks for reminding me that there's a green grass behind the hills.. thanks again..
    i've been out here for 21 years & out of those 21 years maybe 2 years i worked for a large carrier. the rest of the time i hauled cattle to california from florida & texas, hauled chicken or meat out to california & produce back, seafood from the gulf shores in louisiana & mississippi to the northwest & brought seafood back to the gulf shores, translation is, i most worked for outlaw type outfits as well as owning my own truck. if i were u, i'd go with schneider, their training program is by far the best i've ever heard of or seen

Blog Entries
    Great post guys. Personally those companies do not get as large as they are by being all bad. I agree, there are a small percentage of people who only know how to bitch and whine and bad mouth. That's all their limited mentality will allow them to produce. You got good advice, Islander. I recommend that you discount any thing you read that is totally one sided, as it is almost always misleading. What happens is someone does not get their own way and they start an emotional war against the company. Any real company evaluation will have both the positives, as well as the negatives and little if any emotional content.
    RoadTrucker Inc
    Products for Trucking and Driving Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I was just wanted to make sure that if I put my honest working out there and willing to take all the stress and blame, I just wanted to know that I am working with someone that some how cares about their drivers who's far away from his/her family weeks of weeks at a time. Thanks again..
    One thing you must remember. The only person who cares about you and your family, is you. All trucking companies are interested in only two things moving freight, and making a profit. You are expendable, and there are many who they can get to replace you. Therefore, regardless of who you work for, you must be wiling to do the best you can while abiding by their rules. Any job can be either good or bad, that depends a large part on you. There are a few that no mater what is terrible. Just remember after getting the experience, keeping a clean record, etc., you can move to better pastures.

Quote Originally Posted by Menehune View Post
    One thing you must remember. The only person who cares about you and your family, is you. All trucking companies are interested in only two things moving freight, and making a profit. You are expendable, and there are many who they can get to replace you. Therefore, regardless of who you work for, you must be wiling to do the best you can while abiding by their rules. Any job can be either good or bad, that depends a large part on you. There are a few that no mater what is terrible. Just remember after getting the experience, keeping a clean record, etc., you can move to better pastures.
    Very well said, Menehune.
    Drive Carefully & Come Home Safe
    Marie