Made in America Chrome Stacks

Thread: Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 7720 GPS

Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 7720 GPS

I recently purchased a Rand McNally TripMaker RVND 7720 GPS. I have to say that I like this unit far more than the Magellan RV9165T-LM. I haven't taken any long trips with it yet but did try it out on 2 short trips, one in RV mode and the other in car mode.

What I like:
    It correctly routed me around a low railroad underpass, and took me on both fastest and shortest routes accurately. I like the "Tell Rand" feature where you can send in updates, and when the speed limit and the GPS display differed, one can tap the speed limit sign and actually enter the speed limit to be sent later. The location indicators are very nice, with not only a lot of choices, but also color selection - and you can have a different one for RV vs car modes. I know that doesn't sound like much but it's a "fun" feature! The mount is robust, doesn't bounce even in my pickup truck, and although RM doesn't have a bean bag dash mount, the one I purchased from Magellan worked great. The speed indicator is stable, and seems accurate. The speed warning is very good in that it warns you once and doesn't continually warn. Custom POI's were easy to load. The itinerary pop out on the side is very nice.

What I don't like:
    The voices are limited, only two, Tom and Samantha - I didn't try Tom yet, Samantha is an old style, sometimes hard to understand. The display washed out a little in the sun, but still viewable. I may look for a screen protector that reduces glare. The speed limit indicator was wrong quite often, but I noticed the same thing on the other GPS's I've tried - just pay attention to the signs. I don't find the wifi of much use because I don't have wifi in my truck. Maybe if I get a 4G, but it's only good for the weather. Traffic requires an adapter. I liked the Blue Tooth on my other GPS's for the ***** and miss it on this one. It also has a microSD slot for "future use", doesn't provide and function at the moment.

Overall this unit is easy to use and has a many nice features. It has 5GB of memory so you can put a large amount of custom POI's on it. What I'd like to see is the ability to display photos since is has a nice display. I would also like to have better voices. I would also like a web browser to enhance the wifi capability. I would recommend this unit, even for car use. I hope to be out on the road soon to really check out the rest of the features. They did have the RV'er in mind when they designed this GPS.

I hope you find this helpful.

Bill

Thanks for this nice review (pros and cons) about RVND 7720 RV GPS, Bill. You might want to write your personal blogs in our Blog Section. You can talk about various topics like your trip experiences, and post pictures of your getaways! Just click the Blogs tab above and then +Create New Post on the right side. Enjoy!
    Drive Carefully & Come Home Safe
    Marie