Made in America Chrome Stacks

Thread: Ramps - ON/Off freeway etiquette

Ramps - ON/Off freeway etiquette

Hello,

I have a fairly large RV (40ft) and tow a Sportage. I'm slow, sometimes slower than the trucks, so I try to stay to the right as much as possible. When I see a car entering the freeway, I generally maintain speed in the often futile hope that they will step on the gas and merge out ahead of me. When I see a big truck, I tend to slow down and flash my lights to let him/her know I will let them in. (Both scenarios are assuming that I can't get out of the right lane) Am I right? wrong? IF I"m wrong let me know now before it becomes a habit!

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by rigosmom View Post
    Hello,

I have a fairly large RV (40ft) and tow a Sportage. I'm slow, sometimes slower than the trucks, so I try to stay to the right as much as possible. When I see a car entering the freeway, I generally maintain speed in the often futile hope that they will step on the gas and merge out ahead of me. When I see a big truck, I tend to slow down and flash my lights to let him/her know I will let them in. (Both scenarios are assuming that I can't get out of the right lane) Am I right? wrong? IF I"m wrong let me know now before it becomes a habit!

Thanks in advance!
    flashing of the lights is ok.

regarding staying in the right lane. it IS a pain in the butt to do so, but you also admitted that you are slow. if you jumped over to a left lane, you would most certainly hunder the traffic flow. most likely causing a big rig, to make a move over to his left, and that is even if he/she can do so safely.

in all my years out there, i too have never really seen too many merging vehicles "step on the gas", and "get going"

as long as you are doing the speed limit, or driving with the flow of traffic, not too much else you can do, except look far ahead as we do. you too have some advantage over the ordinary 4 wheeler, in that you sit a bit taller in the seat, than they do.

when i was in trucking school (way pre CDL days), my instructor said to the class (and i will NEVER forget this), "if i am in the right lane, and some idiot is coming onto the highway, then steps on his brakes, INSTEAD OF GASSING ON IT, THEN I AM GASSING ON MY GAS, making up HIS MIND what he wants to do, and get past him/her"..!!

Ramps - ON/OFF Freeway etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyD_157 View Post
    flashing of the lights is ok.

regarding staying in the right lane. it IS a pain in the butt to do so, but you also admitted that you are slow. if you jumped over to a left lane, you would most certainly hunder the traffic flow. most likely causing a big rig, to make a move over to his left, and that is even if he/she can do so safely.

in all my years out there, i too have never really seen too many merging vehicles "step on the gas", and "get going"

as long as you are doing the speed limit, or driving with the flow of traffic, not too much else you can do, except look far ahead as we do. you too have some advantage over the ordinary 4 wheeler, in that you sit a bit taller in the seat, than they do.

when i was in trucking school (way pre CDL days), my instructor said to the class (and i will NEVER forget this), "if i am in the right lane, and some idiot is coming onto the highway, then steps on his brakes, INSTEAD OF GASSING ON IT, THEN I AM GASSING ON MY GAS, making up HIS MIND what he wants to do, and get past him/her"..!!
    Ok good. I feel better! Thanks!