Made in America Chrome Stacks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RV owners or renters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RV owners or renters

i personally have never owned, nor rented any types of RV. i have seen some tv show on (i think) GAC tv, and some of those rigs are downright gorgeous.

however, not all people that drive any type of RV, should be drivng them!

too many times, there would be one on the side of the road, and then suddenly pull out and into traffic...dear god.

also, some RV owners or renters, have no idea on how to tow a vehicle behind them. and i (like many of you) have seen them tow a car/suv, and a boat...!!!!

to me, in all actuality, they ought to have at the very least, a Class B CDL.

however, the RV industry is SO BIG, we all know they have lobbyists in DC that will fight that requirement to no end.

just does not seem right to me

I drive a 40ft RV with a tow vehicle and I do sorta agree with you. I had not a clue what I was doing when I got behind the wheel of that beast! I did my best to practice by driving around town on wide streets, but that doesn't prepare you for the freeway. I held my breath everytime a trucker passed me (I was doing around 50 because I didn't feel confident going any faster) Practice makes perfect though! The last few times I took out the RV I didn't get any dirty looks or the finger from any of the truckers! I still don't have that darn passenger side mirror adjusted so I can see all the way back, but I'll work it out I'm sure! Right turns are still scary - but I'm getting better. I must admit, I've had more problems with cars being nasty as opposed to truckers. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by rigosmom View Post
    I drive a 40ft RV with a tow vehicle and I do sorta agree with you. I had not a clue what I was doing when I got behind the wheel of that beast! I did my best to practice by driving around town on wide streets, but that doesn't prepare you for the freeway. I held my breath everytime a trucker passed me (I was doing around 50 because I didn't feel confident going any faster) Practice makes perfect though! The last few times I took out the RV I didn't get any dirty looks or the finger from any of the truckers! I still don't have that darn passenger side mirror adjusted so I can see all the way back, but I'll work it out I'm sure! Right turns are still scary - but I'm getting better. I must admit, I've had more problems with cars being nasty as opposed to truckers. Just my 2 cents.
    yes, please get that mirror adjusted. also, check with an RV dealership for any stabilizer(s) you should have. (or if it already has one) this/these will help give you better control. watch some videos where the rig is all over the road.

RVs

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyD_157 View Post
    yes, please get that mirror adjusted. also, check with an RV dealership for any stabilizer(s) you should have. (or if it already has one) this/these will help give you better control. watch some videos where the rig is all over the road.
    Thank-you! I am working on that darn mirror! I can see everything now except cars that are right by the entry door. Why they must hang out there, I don't know. I plan to get a camera put in there so hopefully that will help me see that side better. I also want an additional camera for behind so i can see past the tow vehicle. I asked Camping World about stabilizers and they SAY they can't be installed on my model. (2000 Monaco Executive w/150 gallon tank) I've about decided that if winds are over 10-15mph....stay home.

Thank-you! I am working on that darn mirror! I can see everything now except cars that are right by the entry door. Why they must hang out there, I don't know. I plan to get a camera put in there so hopefully that will help me see that side better. I also want an additional camera for behind so i can see past the tow vehicle. I asked Camping World about stabilizers and they SAY they can't be installed on my model. (2000 Monaco Executive w/150 gallon tank) I've about decided that if winds are over 10-15mph....stay home.
    it's not so much wind, as it is the placement of the storage water tanks to the balance of the rig. too far back, and the rear end can swing out from under you, if something jumps out in front of you.. then comes any emergency maneuver you might have to make.

this is a pic of a stabilizer, goes onto the towed vehicle

on the RV itself, anti-sway bars help in handling, for the reasons i mentioned above. i think my bad for not being specific.

I have an American Car Dolly - I will try and find a stabilizer bar that fits it!! I'm mainly finding Roadmaster, but I'm sure there must be one that fits mine!

Thanks!

We got a stabilizing kit installed on our much smaller Winnebago Vista recently. It seems to have a miraculous effect. We haven't driven it much after the installation, which was pricey, but it seems that this was a great safely and comfort investment. We flat tow a little plug-in hybrid behind us and never go over 60 MPH (and stay in the right hand lane) when towing, much to the ire of many cars and some trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyc954 View Post
    We got a stabilizing kit installed on our much smaller Winnebago Vista recently. It seems to have a miraculous effect. We haven't driven it much after the installation, which was pricey, but it seems that this was a great safely and comfort investment. We flat tow a little plug-in hybrid behind us and never go over 60 MPH (and stay in the right hand lane) when towing, much to the ire of many cars and some trucks.
    well i as a trucker, highly appreciate that you stay in the right lane. it has always been known, that slower traffic keep to the right.

thank you

I dolly tow a Kia Sportage, I'm still looking for a stabilizer bar to fit it .. There has to be one somewhere!

I dolly tow a Kia Sportage, I'm still looking for a stabilizer bar to fit it .. There has to be one somewhere!
    you can try for a "multi-fit from

http://www.jcwhitney.com/

or even try the local U-Haul, just be sure to buy NEW, not used

you may also try the local Ryder and Penske rental company's as well.

you can try this site:

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...ies/83660.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/traile...kit-96462.html

https://www.hensleymfg.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast